THE BIBLE AND HOMOSEXUALITY
July 8, 2004
The daily news often reminds us of the growing strength of the homosexual movement in the world.
Corrupted and wicked world blindly promotes homosexuality as many gay directors make a film that the leading role is a gay. Many famous homosexual personalities around the world were being interviewed, lifted and applauded in television. Frequently, many high rated television program and even well financed pageant organizers held a gay beauty contest where the winner join the worldwide gay competition.
For years there has been a movement around the world to present homosexuality as simply an alternate life style. And whosoever who will attempt to pronounce a matter as wrong is judgmental, uneducated, and un-human.
Homosexuality was prevalent in ancient times -- in our day it is making a comeback.
I- THE DEFINITION
a. Homosexual. This term is not used in the Bible, but the concept is. It refers to men or women having sexual relations with members of the same sex. Sexual behavior among members of the same sex. Sexual desire or attraction to the same sex. Sexual activity with a member of the same sex. Homosexuals= malakos = soft, effeminate, "effeminate"- I Corinthians 6:9. The "effeminate, of a catamite, a male who submits his body to unnatural lewdness" (THAYER) The word translated as "sodomites" ("abusers of themselves with mankind" in the KJV) is arsenokoitai (I Corinthians 6:9), and is defined as: "one who lies with a male as with a female, a sodomite" (THAYER). The first word (malakos) does properly speak of a male prostitute, the second word (arsenokoitai) describes any sort of homosexual conduct.
b. Sodomy. The term is connected with the sin of the city of Sodom and Gomorrah and has come to be identified with homosexuality and moral perversion in general.- Genesis 19; Jude 7. The 1828 Webster dictionary defined "sodomy" as "a crime against nature." The Webster's Deluxe Unabridged Dictionary of 1983 defines sodomy as "any sexual intercourse regarded as abnormal, as between persons of the same sex, especially males, or between a person and an animal." Sodomy = male homosexuality. The sodomite of the Old Testament refers to male prostitution and homosexual moral perversion practiced in connection with idolatry (Deuteronomy 23:17; 1 Kings 14:24; 15:12; 22:46; 2 Kings 23:7). The same Hebrew word is translated "unclean" (Job 36:14).
c. Lesbianism = female homosexuality.
d. Bisexuality = sexual attraction to members of both sexes.
e. Transvestism = dressing in the clothing of the opposite sex.
II- THE DESIGN
a. God instituted marriage between a man and a woman
God created man and woman (Gen. 1, 2). After God created Adam he said, it is not good that man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him; (Gen. 2: 18). Help meet is from a Hebrew word that means a counter-part or compliment. In other words, God intended to provide Adam with a being ideally suited to meet Adam's social, psychological, emotional, and sexual needs. In the following verses of Genesis chapter 2, we read how God made a woman (ishshah, corresponding to man) for Adam. The companion God presented to Adam was bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh (Gen. 2: 23). Adam (man) was then commanded to "leave his father and his mother and cleave unto his wife" (vs. 24). and they shall be one flesh,; we are told (vs. 24).
b. The woman, not man, is ideally suited for man
1. The Purpose of Woman's creation. In I Corinthians 11, the Apostle Paul wrote, the woman is the glory of the man" (vs. 7). Moreover, he penned: ;Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man" (vs. 9).
2. The Production of Woman' s companionship. The woman is the perfect companion for man, Woman is ideal for man emotionally, socially, and sexually. One purpose of marriage is reproduction (Gen. 1: 28). There is no other relation that can produce children other than the relationship of man and woman.
Marriage is to be only between man and woman. Marriage between man and woman is sanctioned
of God (Gen. 1, 2; Heb. 13: 4). Sexual relationships between a man and woman outside of marriage are condemned (Heb. 13: 4).
1. Marriage between Man and the Beast is forbidden. ManConjugal involvement of man with beasts incur the express disapproval of God (Lev. 18: 23). Observe the plainness of this prohibition: "Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith" (Lev. 18: 23).
2. Marriage between Man and Man is forbidden. The "neither" is connected to the preceding prohibition, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind; it is abomination" (Lev. 18: 22). To "lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman" under God's theocratic government meant that, "they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them" (Lev. 20: 13).
Rampant homosexuality is an indication of serious degradation in a society
a. Great Wickedness described. The sin of homosexuality in Sodom and Gomorrah reached the point where God said "their sin is very grievous" and "is waxen great" (Gen. 18: 20, 19: 13). They were so depraved and steeped in homosexuality that any male stranger was in danger (Gen. 19: 5, "may know them" means to know sexually). Jude wrote that "Sodom and Gomorrah giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire" (Jude 7). The stench of their wickedness was so great that God destroyed these people with brimstone and fire out of heaven (Gen. 19: 24, notice Jude's statement regarding "eternal fire," Jude 7).
The New Testament describes how wicked and sinful the homosexuality by the strong words:
b. Gentile world described. In describing the degenerate state of the Gentile world of Paul's day, he described the sin of homosexuality. "Men with men working that which is unseemly," Paul stated (Rom. 1: 27). "Even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature," Paul further explained (vs. 26). Paul referred to such homosexual relationships as "vile affections" (vs. 26). We are now living in that same evil Gentile world.
IV- THE DISHONOR
1. Contrary to the sound doctrine - 1 Timothy 1:10-11
2. Honor not God- Romans 1:18-31. In other words, those who are not willing to honor God as God are simply allowed to degenerate into moral decay!
3. They condemned the Messenger by avoiding the Word of God.- Genesis 19:9. The reaction of sodomites in Lot' s day is somewhat similar to many today who say to those who would dare point out sinful conduct, "Who are you to judge?" People haven't really changed much, have they? What such people fail to realize, is that when you point out what the Word of God says about certain conduct, YOU are not judging them, it is the WORD OF GOD that is judging them. In return, they themselves are trying to avoid the condemnation of the MESSAGE of God by condemning the MESSENGER!
V- THE DESTRUCTION
1. It destroys the family as defined biblically, a man and a woman united in holy matrimony rearing children to fear-God and to be productive citizens. It would eventually destroy society.
2. It requires death penalty under the Mosaic Law (Leviticus 18:22-29; 20:13; Romans 1:32).
3. It produce a morally reprobate mind (Romans 1:26-28)
4. It defiles the land (Leviticus 18:25) It was one of the sins that justified God in giving the land of Canaan to the Israelites, for the previous occupants were guilty of such sins.
5. It gives them transmitted diseases. (Romans 1:27) An illusion to sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS? We cannot say for certain, but none can dispute that those who are willing to follow God's Word as to sexual conduct have less to fear about STD's than those who choose to disregard Him!
6. It is worthy of the judgment of eternal fire (Jude 7)
7. The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was to serve as an example for the ungodly (Genesis 19:24-28) as Peter explains- 2 Peter 2:6.
VI- THE DESTINY
Paul wrote, "do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind (nor homosexuals); shall inherit the kingdom of God" (I Cor. 6: 9, 10).
1. Homosexuals cannot help themselves because they were born the way they are. God would not hold homosexuals responsible if they had a genetic aberration that they could not help. Though there may be genetic factors that increase the likelihood of one becoming a homosexual, these genetic factors alone do not produce homosexuality The good news is that homosexuals, just as all sinners, can be saved if they will repent of their sins and accept God's provision of grace (I Cor. 6: 9-11).
2. Homosexuality is not even mentioned in the Bible. Some contend that the Bible only condemns prostitution but that sodomy, or homosexuality, in general, is not addressed in the Word of God. Homosexuals= malakos = soft, and rendered "effeminate" in I Corinthians 6:9 is a male who submits his body to unnatural lewdness". The word translated as "sodomites" ("abusers of themselves with mankind" is arsenokoitai in the same verse I Corinthians 6:9, It is defined as: "one who lies with a male as with a female, a sodomite".
3. Homosexual people are made by God. No, God only created human as male and female (Genesis 1:27) and no impurity or gender mixture. Thus, God says, â€œit was very good.” Genesis 1:31.
4. Homosexuality has the same right to love and to be loved by people. God loves sinners not their sins. Christ died for the sins of the whole world. Not only He is the God of love but He is a Just and Holy God who condemned and judged the ungodly, wicked and evil men. Homosexuality is an abomination unto God (Leviticus 18:22) and a grievous sin-Gen.18:20. If we love the person we will never tolerate and justify his homosexuality because true love (agape) rejoiceth not in iniquity”1 Corinthians 13:6
5. Homosexual must be given freedom to live and express themselves. The Bible says,..and the truth shall make you free”John 8:32. God calls people unto liberty (freedom); only use not liberty (freedom) for an occasion to the flesh,”Galatians 5:13
The good news is that it can be forgiven and cleansed in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of God (1 Corinthians 6:9-11)
The Components For Developing A Predisposition To Homosexuality
Please carefully note that the components listed below DO NOT CAUSE ONE TO BECOME A HOMOSEXUAL. Rather, they can contribute to the development of a PREDISPOSITION TOWARDS HOMOSEXUALITY. A person can (and many do) have all these components and still not be a homosexual. As listed and describe by LaHaye, these components include:
1. A Melancholy Temperament
2. Inadequate Parental Relationships
3. Permissive Childhood Training
4. Insecurity About Sexual Identity
5. Childhood Sexual Trauma
6. Early Interest In Sex
7. Youthful Masturbator And Sexual Fantasizer
8. Childhood Associates And Peer Pressure
The Formula For Producing A Homosexual
A Predisposition Toward Homosexuality
That First Homosexual Experience
Pleasurable and Positive Homosexual Thoughts
To Which Is Added
More Homosexual Experiences
More Pleasurable Thoughts