|NO||CELIBACY OF THE PRIESTHOOD
Mark 1:29-30; I Timothy 3:1-2, 4-5
October 15, 2006
Andres C. Guevara Jr.
Celibacy of the Priesthood was decreed by Pope Gregory VII in 1079 A.D. Should preachers or priests Marry?
Catholics say Peter was the first Pope.
They say Peter was the first of the twelve Apostles. And these twelve Apostles were the starting of a human organization that was handed down, becoming they called the Roman Church. In that sense they say that Peter was the first Pope.
The Leaders of the Church who don't have wife because of adapting this teaching have two reasons:
1. Lack of knowledge from the Bible.
2. Disobedience from the Word of God.
Two things they say important for being servant of God:
1. Chastity- avoiding having intimate, and sexual hot relationship with the opposite sex.
2. Celibacy- forbidding minister, preachers and priests to marry.
I- PETER'S STATUS
Was Peter married?
What would you think about a Catholic Pope that was married?
Mark 1:29-30 Simon Peter was married. His mother in law lived with them. She was sick and
Jesus healed her. (Matthew 8:14-15)
Paul lists his rights as a Minister for many are questioning him for being an Apostle and he included and mentioned in verse 5 about having a power or free to marry. (I Corinthians 9:1-5)
II- PREACHERS STANDARD
Presbyter a greek word meaning elder.(Bishop and Presbyter it is convertible being used.)
Here are some Bible standards for Bishops:
A. Qualities of a Bishop (represents a Greek word "OVERSEER")
1. Should have but one wife at a time. -I Timothy 3:2
2. Should be married once- I Timothy 3:2 (No divorce, not legally separated)
3. Should not have children with other woman -Titus 1:6; I Timothy 3:4
4. Should make his children obey him respectfully- I Timothy 3:4-5
B. Catholic Bible Note: "Priestly Celibacy as a law is of later ecclesiastical institution". (means institution of the Church founded later so it is a human tradition).
III- PROOFS OF THE SCRIPTURES
1. Catholic first Pope disobeyed celibacy. (Matthew 8:14-15)
2. Celibacy is a devil's doctrine. (I Timothy 4:1-3)
3. God does not command celibacy.
Adam and Eve were commanded to multiply and replenish the earth- Genesis 1:28 Noah and his sons were commanded to multiply and replenish the earth- Genesis 9:1
4. Old Testament priests did not institute celibacy.
a. Aaron the Priest have a son named Eleazar- Numbers 16:37
b. Aaron permitted by God to serve in the Priesthood office with his sons- Numbers 18:1, 7-9
c. Aaron the Priest is not condemned by God for having sons and daughters- Numbers 18:11
d. Eli the Priest has sons- I Samuel 2:11,12