WHERE DO YOU LIVE?
Andres C. Guevara Jr.
October 4, 2009 SUN a.m.
Introduction: This is such a very important question that each of us need not to avoid but answer. We Filipinos was totally bombarded and devastated especially Metro-manila by typhoon Ondoy last September 26, 2009. People who lives in low-land areas were become the severe victims of the said storm because of flood that reached the second floor of many homes. The typhoon does not respect persons whether rich and poor did not escape the wrath of this tragedy. Human and animal Lives were gone, buildings and appliances were destroyed, agriculture was damaged and even education and businesses were severely affected. This tragedy was worldly known and got the attention of various world's organization and institution. Some communities and families will start from zero. This leaves us a great lessons to ponder. This beloved parable by Jesus indicates to everyone that the foundation of our lives must be built upon the Rock Christ Jesus. If we are to stand the storms of life that most assuredly will come upon every person's life, we must make certain the storm doesn't blow us away.
Where do you live?
I- IN THE HOUSE UPON THE ROCK
A- The only foundation - v. 25 "for it was founded upon a rock" Both men can built their houses either upon a Rock or a sand but only one was founded upon the Rock. Notice the word "founded" was mentioned only once in verse 25 with regards to the Rock but never in verse 27 about the sand. In verse 24, "sayings of mine" signifies that God's Holy word is the sure foundation because Christ Himself is the only solid foundation - I Corinthians 3:11
B- The obedient foundation - v 24 "whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them,"
C. The objective foundation - v.25 "fell not" It does not says "it was not hit" but "it fell not". Christians were not exempted from the calamities of life but it should not discourage us and stop us from serving and following the Lord. God does not promise us a life without pressures, problems, heartache, afflictions but God is interested how you stand still in spite of. - James 1:2-4
II- IN THE HOUSE OF THE WISE
A- Wise planning
1. Well prepared -v.25 Wise man didn't know when the calamities came but he knew where to build.
2. Well protected -v.25 the house of a man wise stood still against the forces of the rain, flood and winds.
B- Work presentation
1. Endured Storms-v. 25 "it fell not" compared to v.27 "it fell" suggests being doers and not hearers only assures us of a great blessings of God.
2. Exhibited survival-v.25 Can you imagine who will survive when the heavy rain descended, with the high floods, and with the blowing and beating winds? But God promised eternal life to those who believed -John 3:16, 17, 18, 36; Ephesians 1:13 Likewise, God blessed those who trust and obey what they heard -Luke 11:27-28
3. Encourages submission. Please compare v.24 "doeth them" to v.26 "doeth them not" for it teaches us the important lesson we can learn from this visual aid of the parable Christ has narrated. We need to be man of action. To avoid frustration we need to build our house in a Rock foundation. -Deuteronomy 11:26-28; James 1:22-25.